Monday 25 July 2016

Melton Fabric - Donkey Jacket

Remember the Donkey Jackets in the early 70's & 80's - I remember the ESB (The Irish Electricity Supply Board) crew used to were them (See some men in the photo below wearing donkey jackets - source www.donegaldaily.com)

 


Donkey Jackets were made from Melton fabric which was traditionally woven from wool into a twill form.

It was a very stiff type of cloth in due to the twill weave. It is very hard wearing, protecting from wind and rain. I wore one myself in the early 90's on building sites. It was my father's old ESB jacket.

Even Punks, Mods or Skinheads of the era wore them, but were a little more fashionable sometimes with tartan linen. The also had pvc patches on the shoulders and elbows.



You can still buy the Donkey Jackets on Ebay: www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/donkey-jacket

Will they make a come back in everyday fashion? I think they are reto trendy but I doubt I was trendy wearing them on building sites in the early 90's - Who knows - Maybe its worth looking in the attic for old clothes and jackets of your parents/grandparents which were made from fabrics you know longer see day to day.






No comments:

Post a Comment